CREAMY POTATO AND KALE SOUP – By Donna Miller, January 31, 2018
I love incorporating fresh green veggies like Spinach, Kale, or Beet Greens into my diet.
Whether raw Spinach in a salad or a morning Smoothie … or Kale and Beet Greens sauteed in a pan with olive oil or blended in Soups … I love my greens!
I have to be careful with consuming large amounts of raw Kale because it causes heartburn in me. Not sure why. It doesn’t affect my girlfriends like it does me.
But cooked Kale … AMAZING!
If you are not a big fan of Kale, I promise you … this soup doesn’t taste like it has it in it. It just tastes like a fresh and creamy potato soup.
My hubby Rick can attest to this. I’ve been making this soup for several years now and he has loved every bowl full.
And he will tell you that he is NOT a fan of Kale and won’t eat it any other way!
But I am happy that he loves this soup and I able to get a bunch of kale into his diet.
I hope you will enjoy this soup! It is super easy to make.
We purchase prewashed kale and I freeze what’s leftover in 7 cup increments (in gallon size freezer bags) so I can easily add it to future pots of soup! You can squeeze the air out until the bags are flattened so it won’t take up a lot of room in your freezer!
You can dress this soup up at dinnertime with shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese, Sour Cream and Bacon crumbles if you like.
It would also make an awesome partner to your Panini Sandwich or Diane’s Cheese Pennies. Click here for Diane’s Cheese Pennies Recipe. You can also find Diane’s recipe by clicking on the Recipes Tab on our Blog’s main page.
I myself don’t add anything to this soup. I enjoy it just as it is. Kale is loaded with fiber, Folate and Vitamins A, K, and C.
This comforting soup is a super easy way to take in a bunch of nutrients in one sitting!
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Garlic Cloves. I use the Garlic Paste in the refrigerated tube.
- 1 Large White or Yellow Onion, roughly chopped
- 3 Large Potatoes, cut into cubes. (2 Large Potatoes are enough if you decide to add the Cream in Step 7)
- 7 Cups of fresh Kale. I use the Bagged Prewashed Kale to make it easier.
- 6 Cups Veggie or Chicken Broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 – 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream, optional and not necessary.
- Heat the butter in a large soup pot. Add the chopped onion, garlic and potatoes.
- Saute for about five minutes.
- Add the broth and all the Kale. Kale may look like its going to jump out of the pot. But it will wilt down as the soup simmers.
- Bring pot to a boil. Turn heat down to medium and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- With an immersion blender, whip the soup until it is velvety smooth!
- Taste Soup and add Salt and Pepper to your taste.
- Enjoy as it is or top with Crumbled Bacon, Shredded Cheddar Cheese and Sour Cream. Homemade Garlicky Crunchy Sour Dough Croutons would be nice too!
Photography Credit: Mine